Wednesday, October 14, 2015

This is for the bullies...’World’s Ugliest Woman’ launches anti-bullying campaign with some big names

Lizzie Velasquez

A BRAVE woman dubbed the ‘World’s Ugliest Woman’ by online trolls has launched an anti bullying campaign with some famous friends.
At just 17 LIzzie Velasquez, now 26, discovered someone had uploaded a video featuring her to YouTube.
Lizzie suffers from a rare syndrome meaning she can’t put on weight and is blind in one eye.
The video, viewed more than four million times, had been titled ‘World’s Ugliest Woman,’ and one of the comments simply said “Kill it with fire.”
Youtube video World's Uglist Woman
The original video
But instead of making LIzzie want to hide away it inspired her to start a fight against online bullying.
Now, nine years on, Lizzie has launched an international campaign against bullying featuring some very famous names.
Starring in the “I’m with Lizzie” campaign are the likes of Avengers star Chris Hemsworth, Hilary Duff, Star Trek’s Zachary Quinto and actress Octavia Spencer.
Chris Hemsworth
Chris Hemsworth appears in the video
They all appear in her campaign video saying the line “I’m with Lizzie.”
It starts as the same time as a documentary, funded by Kickstarter, called A Brave Heart: The Lizzie Velasquez Story.
The film follows Lizzie throughout her life up to the point she made an inspirational talk on TED in 2013.
She says: “I always knew I wanted to show those people that they weren’t going to define me.
“I didn’t want the definition of me that they were creating to become my truth.
“I wanted to make my own truth.”
She hope the campaign will push Congress in America to introduce a Safe Schools Improvement Act, a federal anti-bullying law that requires school districts to protect children from being bullied.
You can support Lizzie by following the campaign

No comments:

Post a Comment