Monday, October 12, 2015

Go Ogogo!

Ant’s ‘race’ blast at BBC

Ogogo dancer . . . Anthony and Oti on Strictly

AXED Strictly Come Dancing star Anthony Ogogo has told how he was surprised to find he had been paired with black dancer Oti Mabuse.

Boxer Anthony, 26, said: “I did not think that the BBC would put us together because we’re black or mixed race. I honestly thought they would spread the minorities around.”

He also blamed his departure on the fact he was not a “BBC face” like broadcaster Jeremy Vine.

Anthony said: “I entered the show with probably the smallest fan base, I’m quite young, I’m not a BBC face. I’m not Jeremy Vine.”

Olympic bronze medallist Anthony also claimed it was impossible to win the ballroom competition if you were a dance novice.


He said: “When you’re up against Jay McGuiness who’s done ballet and Helen George who’s done ballet and Peter Andre who’s a popstar, it’s very hard to compete.

“It’s very, very hard for a novice to win the competition.

“I’m one of the few in the competition who’s got no dance history, I’m a complete novice.

”But Anthony said he was delighted his mum got to see him perform on the show after she missed his London 2012 Olympic glory after suffering a brain haemorrhage.

The single mum, who raised Anthony and his four sisters at their home in Lowestoft, fell seriously ill and was in a coma for more than two weeks.

He said: “It was really tough for me. The doctors said her brain haemorrhage was near fatal.

“I was competing in the 2012 Olympics and to have her so ill was horrible. But she has come out the other side and made a full recovery, which is remarkable.

“I’m so proud of her — she is a real inspiration.”

No comments:

Post a Comment